Sunday, November 4, 2012

An Introduction

I cried.   It might sound silly, but when I went to the doctor I was going for a completely different reason and the news the doctor gave me kind of blindsided me.

In fact, I'm kind of glad that all the tests weren't in so I could go back and ask tons of questions, because she didn't really give me much information other than telling me she'd give me three months to try and get everything under control or she wanted to put me on medication.  (I go back Wednesday, btw.)

I guess I should introduce myself.   I'm Sugar, and I'm an addict.  LORDY am I an addict.

I'm a sugar addict.

I love sugar.  Love love LOVE sugar.   Candy, cookies, cereal, ice cream and orange juice.  Handmade. Store bought.  All kinds and all flavors.   If it's made with flour and refined sugar and it tastes good with milk.... I'm there.

Or I was until the day before yesterday.

Then I went to the doctor and got smacked upside the head with the diabetes stick.

And I went home and cried like a baby for over two hours.   I called my mom, who had a lot of advice and the "chipper" comment of "Well, it was fun for the first 37 years, right?"

I'm 37 years old (as of yesterday).   I'm 5'4 and weigh 285 lbs.  And now I'm stuck with the task of trying to set things to rights.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was also diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic on my birthday in 2004... I had gone into to town ( lived on a farm then) to buy myself a black forest cake for my birthday. I had been having a yeast infection for about 3 months so decided to pop in to see a doctor, got sent for blood work and got the phone call later that day to get my behind in to see him immediately... You have diabetes, he said.... and my first thought was," No Black Forest Cake for me ever again."
    I am now on insulin and oral meds and still struggling to get my numbers down.... my fasting blood test this morning ( November 20th was 10.1) I need to exercise and I HATE THAT WORD!!!!

    ReplyDelete