Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Diabetes and Walking for Fitness

I lead a pretty sedentary life and until recently this has never been much of a big deal. 

With diabetes, though, it's important to get a certain amount of exerecise.   It helps with your circulation which is a huge issue for diabetics.

I don't think I need to go into the validity of how good exercise is for you.  It's pretty well known.

My problem was, I have a really hard time doing things I don't enjoy.   In fact, my life is pretty much ruled by the fact that I very rarely need to do anything I really don't want to. (I'm pretty darned lucky.)

And I have never, ever enjoyed exercise.  That said? I do like walking and hiking.  I always have.  The prerequisite is nature.  It needs to be somewhere filled with nature.  With trees and bushes and leaves and beautiful things of nature.   I need that and I know myself well enough to know I need that.   Walking in a city sucks for me.  I find it entirely uninspiring and darned close to torturous.

Today, my husband and I went to a beautiful park about a half hour from here and took a long walk around a lake.   It was beautiful.   Gorgeous.   But unfortunately, a little much for me for so soon.   Walking is one of the best types of exercise you can do though, and I feel a bit a pride that I made it all the way around the lake on my own steam, even if I was aching and exhausted by the time we made it back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment