Thursday, November 8, 2012

Green Smooties Don't Have To Be Green

I made a green smoothie that wasn't green today!

I can't believe I did it, but when the smoothie didn't turn green in the blender I actually had to run to the computer and check if it was ok that it didn't turn green.   Yes, yes.  I know that its called a "green smoothie" not because of it's color but because you put fresh greens in it, but for some reason I still had to check.   Kind of silly, but I was helpless to go against the impulse.

My smoothie wasn't green because I'd added strawberries.  And, I need to look it up but I'm wondering if strawberries have some citrus in them?   Something in the smoothie was masking the Chlorophyll flavor and I'd forgotten to add the half an orange I'd meant to put in to the mix.

The smoothie today had strawberries, mango, banana and romaine (one more smoothie and the romaine should be gone.... next up to try is spinache).   I blended it with a bit of water and a half tray of ice.   I also added a pinch of powdered clove.

Clove are known to have higher concentrations of antioxidants than any fruit or vegetable. Their properties make them ideal for use as an anti-septic, local anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, rubefacient (warming and soothing), carminative (relieving flatulence) and anti-flatulent.

For me, I was interested in the "anti-flatulent" part since um.... well although the bowel movements have settled down to "soft" instead of "soup", I'm getting tired of being gassy.    I got the idea when I was looking up the whole "poop soup" issue the other day.   On one of the forums I skimmed over (Raw Food Talk), I saw a reply to this issue that cloves might help.   When I researched cloves, I saw there were quite a few benefits and thought I'd give it a try.

I did notice a bit of a warming sensation in my tummy while I was drinking it and for about a half hour after.   It wasn't unpleasant, just different.   And, it was such a small amount that I couldn't really taste it (I'm not a cinnamon/nutmeg fan so it goes to figure I won't really like the flavor of cloves either).  I'm not sure if I'd add it to every smoothie I make, but I think there's nothing wrong with adding it to one every once in a while for the benefits it's reputed to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment