Monday, November 5, 2012

How to Slice a Mango and Not Make a Mess

So, last time I made a smoothie, I made it with mango and I want to share.

This was an experience in and of itself.   I've never seen a fresh mango before, let alone cut one up.   I had NO idea that there was a huge narrow, long pit in there  and was clueless on how to cut one up.

So, for anyone that has experience with mangoes, you can understand the MESS that went on when I tried to do this for the first time.    I, obliviously, cut the first cheek off without incident.   It was when I went to go back and cut up the rest of it that I ran into the pit.

At first, I figured it was round.   But I soon discovered with my parring knife that it wasn't.  And the mango was so juicy yet fiberous that I couldn't figure out how to get the fruit off the pit without either filleting my fingers or destroying the fruit.

I ended up with something very similar in consistency to the insides of a pumpkin by the time I got most of the fruit off the pit too!  And it was everywhere.   My hands and arms up to the elbows were drenched in mango juice and it was all over the counter and (somehow????) dripping down the face of one of my cabinets as well!

Right.

So, since I don't plan on giving up on mangoes, I figured I'd better look up how to cut one up because clearly, my own method wasn't working.    And I found this excellent video on eHow that explains it in detail too.   I don't usually like instructional videos, I'd much rather read the instructions, but this one was excellent so I thought I'd share.




Demand Media Video -- powered by ehow.com


I definitely recommend anyone that is interested in trying mangoes to do so, they're delicious. But, watch the video first or you'll end up with a humongous MESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment