Sunday, November 4, 2012

Green Smoothies... and Some Grossness

If you're grossed out by the mention of human waste, this is not the post for you.

Sorry, but I had to put the disclaimer there because I'm going to get a little personal in this post.

So... I decided to go ahead and try a green smoothie approach to things for my morning meal.   It's the most troubling meal of the day for me because I find that I -need- to eat something in the morning or my stomach has issues.     And, I used to have cereal.

Well, since cereal is now out, I had to find something to replace it with.   So I decided to try the route that my chiropractor (an amazing man and very inspirational individual) suggested.

Green smoothies.

Right.

So I bought a blender.   A Ninja Pro that is surprisingly very good.  It has blades all the way along a center column instead of only at the bottom which seems to make a huge difference.   Not only that but it only cost $99 instead of the hundreds that a Vitamix would have cost.

I toted the blender home with a bunch of fruit and green leafy goodness and proceeded to make the first of my green smoothies.... and it went straight down the drain.  OH my god it was gross.   Mistake #1... do NOT use broccoli.  You'll be sorry.    Mistake #2... do NOT underestimate how a little green can go a long way. 

My second wasn't all that great either and I had to choke it down and didn't finish it.

My third had a better success rate.   I read up on soluble fiber and what fruits have it and took that info to the blender with me.  I used more fruit and less greens.   It was still a little bitter, though but palatable enough to drink.

I drank half of it yesterday with the help of a straw to bypass my tongue due to a bit of the bitter still left in the taste.

Then, I drank the other half this morning while visiting my neighbor.  And SHE taught me a wonderful trick.    That bitter taste?   Apparently it's the chlorophyll taste from the greens.   And to counteract it you need not just fruit but some form of citrus (lemon, orange, pineapple).   She put all of 6 drops of lemon juice in my cup and mixed it up.... and that horrible bitter was nearly entirely GONE.

YAY!  So I learned a good trick.

Now here's the gross part.

As of this evening when I got home from the movies with my neighbor?  I've had diarrhea.  Not just diarrhea but the "poopin' soup" kind of diarrhea.   Horrible, nasty, miserable.... yuck.    I laid down for a nap and sharted in my jeans in my sleep kind of uncontrollable diarrhea. (Immediate shower time, and the jeans are now on their 3rd wash and on their way to a fourth because I'm seriously grossed out.)

So I hopped online to do some research and, apparently, this is a common reaction from a body that isn't used to eating raw foods and fiber and -should- clear up in the next few days to a month at the longest.   UGH!!

Thing is, though.   I drank that smoothie this morning?  And I wasn't starving all the way to when I came home after the movie to eat supper.   So it really does give you energy and help keep hunger pains away.   I just hope this reaction from my body is temporary.

I should mention on a side note that I haven't been an entirely good girl here.   I've had a few of those little Reese's peanut butter cup minis.   I keep having these really restless, angry moments and the candy has helped that.  I know it's sugar withdrawal and I'm hoping by weening myself off with the last few pieces left here in the house that it won't be too bad for my husband, who's stuck coming along for the ride whether he likes it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment